Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Jaundice

Before we left the hospital yesterday Adam had to get his jaundice test done. It felt like we waited forever. Finally she came back and said that he had it and that since we were going home we had to have a billibed brought to our house. She also said I had to continute to breastfeed like normal and give him formula. I was really hesitant about it not that I had a choice but only because I didn't want him to get nipple confusion. So when I tried to give him the formula he didn't take it very well at first. Later when I got home my mom and dad stopped by and she asked me if I warmed the bottle up first. I hadn't even thought of that. Well sure enough warming it up did the trick and he took it. He has been so good about nursing and using the bottle. I even got him to take a binky. I love it. Last night was a little rough with the sleeping though, I think it was just because of the billibed. He had to be in it at all times with nothing but a diaper on. The only times I could take him out were to feed, change or bathe him. So of course he didn't sleep all that much since he wasn't all bundled up. Thankfully I did get some sleep. I think he finally got tired enough to sleep for 3 hours straight so that was nice. This morning we took him to get the billiruben test done at the hospital to see if the jaundice is going away. It took forever for the phlebotomist to get all the blood. It just wasn't coming out very fast. So after that we went home and after a while I called about the results. She said it was at an 11.9 so I didn't need to have him in the billibed anymore today. Thank goodness :) But I do have to take him to get the test done again tomorrow but then right after he has an appointment with his pediatrician. Hopefully everything goes well. It is still kind of surreal to me that I am a mom but I am loving every minute of it! Jenna has seemed to take it well so far. She got a little concerned every time he cried last night. As soon as he would start screaming and I would get up she would look at Rusty. It was cute. Right now she is at the vet getting spayed. I'm sad for her cuz she'll be in pain and she can't go anywhere or even for walks for a few days. She should be okay though, they gave us some pain medicine for her. These past 3 days have seemed like such a blur, I still can't beleive all that has happened!

2 comments:

Christa said...

I'm glad his numbers dropped so quickly. You should be able to quit the formula now.

Jillene said...

You are so lucky that his numbers dropped so fast. Olivia had to stay in a billibed for about a week--it sucked.

Congreats again Mommy!! Can't wait to see more pictures of him!!